Accessing Benefits for Children
Stay in the Know About Changes in Health Coverage!
Read the latest edition of the ABCs of Health Coverage. The newsletter helps parents and other residents keep up-to-date on changes that impact health and health coverage for their families. We will share valuable tips on getting and keeping coverage and opportunities to take action. Sign up to receive the newsletter via email.
Share your story about healthcare coverage and what it means to you and your family!
Need Health Insurance?
If you know someone who needs health insurance for their children, our ABC project can help. ABC Outreach Workers help families apply for and use free and low-cost health coverage programs. Outreach Workers are available at Enrollment Sites throughout South Los Angeles, Compton, Inglewood, Lennox and Hawthorne. Bring these documents with you when you meet with an Outreach Worker.
Who Is Eligible?
Children living in California are eligible to apply for different programs. Eligibility is based upon family income, age of children and family size. Even if you are not eligible for Medi-Cal or Healthy Families, your child may be eligible for other low-cost programs including Healthy Kids and Kaiser Child Health Plan. See ABC Options for Healthcare for more information on these programs.
Outreach Workers offer five types of services.
- Outreach: Provides parents with a brief summary about the insurance programs available
- Enrollment/Application Assistance: Gives step-by-step assistance to families in completing one or more applications for health coverage
- Follow-Up: Calls clients who received initial application assistance at 3 months, 6 months and 11 months to answer any questions about enrollment, using services, and application renewal
- Troubleshooting: Helps families access benefits or complete paperwork whether they received application assistance from the ABC project or not
- Referral: Provides information and the name of another agency to help an individual resolve needs identified by ABC staff.
For more information about the ABC Project, contact Veronica Lopez, Project Coordinator, at 323.295.9372 x220 or via email.